Case Study: Firebird & Fireblock achieve ISO 9001:2015 Certification
Firebird Heating Solutions design and manufacture a wide range of innovative heating solutions including the world’s most fuel efficient central heating oil boiler, stoves, solar thermal systems, cookers, Air Source Heat Pumps and biomass boilers. Its subsidiary, Fireblock design, manufacture and install a wide range of multi-purpose steel doors and windows for various types of commercial and industrial applications including but not limited to: Food Industry, Pharmaceutical Industry, Construction, Aerospace and Defence. Located on the same site in Ballyvourney, Co. Cork, both companies are jointly certified to ISO 9001 under the same scope of certification by NSAI.
What We Did ISO 9001:2015 Certification Consulting
Consulting Methodology UsedFull Service Consulting
- What were the Challenges?
Firebird/Fireblock engaged Kelmac Group® to assist with their transition from ISO 9001:2008 to ISO 9001:2015. Like many other companies, Firebird/Fireblock faced many challenges with their QMS, some of which included:
- The QMS had essentially become a folder of documents rather than a tool to help improve business performance. The document heavy nature of the QMS made it difficult for both companies to manage and maintain the system
- Striking the right balance between managing the day to day operations to ensure that customer orders were fulfilled, while also trying to upskill their technical knowledge and transition their QMS to the new standard.
- The QMS was viewed as belonging to the Quality function and engagement in the QMS from other departments was low
- The Management Team had little if any visibility on performance as the QMS was not designed to generate meaningful performance data.
- What was the Kelmac Group Solution?
A designated Kelmac Group® consultant worked hands on with the Firebird/Fireblock team to develop and implement a QMS that aligned directly with the business needs and activities and could be easily managed and maintained:
- Kelmac Group® managed the project from start to finish, ensuring that the project remained on track and was completed on time and within budget.
- Kelmac Group® worked closely with the management team and with each process owner to develop and implement a simple but effective process management methodology encompassing all aspects of the business
- One to one coaching/mentoring was provided to the Management Team and the process owners so that they understood their role and responsibilities under ISO 9001:2015
- With guidance from Kelmac Group®, both companies implemented a measurable QMS providing management with the key data required to enable them to make business improvement decisions.
- What was the Outcome?
Firebird/Fireblock were successfully certified to ISO 9001:2015 by NSAI in May 2018. In addition, the following benefits were realized by both companies:
- QMS aligned with the business needs, adds value and is more user friendly
- Documentation system is streamlined and easier to manage
- Technical knowledge transferred to both companies
- Deeper understanding of ISO 9001:2015 and how it can add value to the organization
“Breda Kearney of Kelmac Group expertly guided us through the process of improving our quality management systems and securing ISO 9001:2015 certification. Kelmac’s service was structured, efficient, customer focused and was value for money. We highly recommend them”