Combined ISO 14001 & ISO 45001 Lead Auditor Training Course ( Replacing OHSAS 18001 )
Course Overview Who is this course for?
Our Combined ISO 14001:2015 and ISO 45001:2018 Lead Auditor Training Course teaches Learners the principles, processes, and techniques used for the assessment of and management of Environmental aspects and impacts, Occupational hazards, risk and controls; and, their significance for EMS and OHSMS lead auditors.
This course is the first of its kind integrating two ISO 14001 and ISO 45001 lead auditor classes into a single 6-day learning event versus attending two separate 5-day lead auditor classes (for ISO 14001 & ISO 45001 separately).
Key Course Learning Outcome Why this course is unique?
We focus on consistent interpretation & application the requirements of ISO 14001 & ISO 45001 and the ability to plan, conduct, report and follow up an audit of different EH&S Management. System scenarios to provide Assurance the relevant Management System meets the needs of the interested parties.
Course Basics What is essential to know about this course?
- This is a 6-day learning event.
- Start/Finish Times: 08:00am – 18:00pm (each day).
- Prior Learning Requirements: Learners are required to be familiar with ISO 14001:2015 & ISO 45001:2018 Requirements in advance of registering for this training. There are also additional pre-requisites, see our website to review these important details.
Upcoming Dates and Locations
Please Contact Us if you need additional information or if you don't see a date that works for you. To register by phone, call (312) 496 6607
All our courses are available onsite, click below to reference the form for an onsite training quote or call (312) 496 6607
Early Bird Discounting Available:
Register & Pay 45 days in advance and save $ 100
Register & Pay 75 days in advance and save $ 200
Discounts cannot be combined with any other offer.
* Advance 45 Day Early Bird Discount, Terms & Conditions Apply
** Advance 75 Day Early Bird Discount, Terms & Conditions Apply
Course Learning TopicsWhat does the course cover?
- The Business/Societal Case for ISO 14001:2015 & ISO 45001:2018
- Overview of ISO Family of Standards*
- Purpose and impact of Annex SL
- New and Revised Terminology
- The Relationship between External and Internal Issues,Interested Party requirements
- Risks and Opportunities
- Effective Communication and Life Cycle Thinking
Introduction to Auditing
- Audit Terminology, Principles EH&S Audits and their Differences
- Auditor Code of Ethics
- Management of an Audit Program
- Audit Life Cycle Audit Roles and Responsibilities throughout The Audit Life Cycle*
- Desired Auditor Behaviors**
Introduction to E&HS Auditing
- Aligning the Business Processes and the EH&S Model*
- Process Terminology & Methodology*
- Evaluation of the Effectiveness of a Process*
- Processes and the Application of PDCA and Risk based Thinking*
- Conformity Assessment Audits Management Certification Cycle/Audits and the Initial Stage 1 Certification Audit**
- Special Conformity Audits*
- Initiating & Preparing for the Audit
- Audit Trails
- Purpose and benefits for establishing initial contact and forms of contact
- Case Study: Document Review
- Audit Plan
- Audit Checklist
- Audit Protocol
- Purpose, process and benefit of an Opening Meeting
- Case Study – Opening Meeting
- Lead Auditor Leadership and Supervision**
- Responsibilities of the Lead Auditor
- Communication throughout the Audit Life Cycle
- Monitoring Audit Progress
- Consensus and Resolution Conflicts
- Lead Auditor Leadership
- Audit Reporting
- Audit Follow-Up
- Auditor/Technical Expert Coaching, Mentoring and Evaluation**
- Collecting and Verifying Information
- Introduction to Audit Findings
- Audit Findings
- Case Study: Writing Audit Findings
- Case Study: Writing the Audit Report**
Completing the Audit
- Evaluating Correction & Corrective Action including Root Cause Analysis and Audit Finding Closure
- Audit Follow Up Strategies
- Final Audit Team Meeting
- Closing/Exit Meeting & Role Play
*Kelmac Group cover this topic in more depth compared to our competitors.
**Kelmac Group proven added value as this material is not covered by the IRCA specification or our competitors.
Course Certification Kelmac Group This course is being submitted to CQI & IRCA for formal approval.
Additional Course Information
Before starting this course, each student is expected to have the following prior knowledge:
Knowledge of the following environmental (and/or occupational health & safety management) management principles and concepts:
- The Plan, Do, Check, Act (PDCA) cycle
- The purpose and benefits of a an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system
- A basic knowledge of managing occupational health and safety (OH&S) through hazard identification, risk assessment and risk control and compliance with legal and other requirements
- A basic awareness of common examples of relevant national and local OH&S legislation and requirements.
- Commonly used OH&S terms and definitions as given in ISO 45001
- The concept of environmental sustainable development whereby an organisation must ensure that actions of today do not degrade the environment of the future.
- The purpose of an initial review as the basis for establishing an environmental management system where none currently exists.
- Evaluation of activities, products and services in order to establish the environmental aspects associated with normal operating conditions, abnormal conditions such as start up and shutdown and emergency situations and accidents.
- Considerations of environmental aspects with respect to
- Emission to air, release to water and release to land
- Use of raw materials, natural resources and energy
- Energy emitted and lost e.g. heat, radiation, vibration, steam, and compressed air.
- Public nuisance such as light pollution, noise, and odour
- Environmental legislation and how legal compliance forms part of an environmental management system.
- Typical methods for evaluation of the significant impacts of the environmental aspects identified and how their ranking influences operational control and priorities for improvement.
Knowledge of the requirements of ISO 14001/45001, which may be gained by completing an IRCA certified EMS and/or OHS Foundation Training course or equivalent.
Each student will be required to have their own copy of ISO 14001:2015 & ISO 45001:2018 for use during the training
The student is assessed during the on-site class based on participation and performance throughout the duration of the course. This includes all exercises, role plays, case studies and all other activities during the course.
PLEASE NOTE: Full attendance is required during the training course.
Post the on-site class. There are two (2) two-hour written auditor examinations at the end of the on-site class. The first written auditor examination is based on EMS, or ISO 14001; the second is based on OHSMS, or ISO 45001. Both written examinations are closed book; however, the student is required to have a hard-copy version of the relevant management system standards (ISO 14001 and ISO 45001) for class use. The minimum pass rate for each written auditor examination is 70%.
- Individuals interested in conducting second- or third-party audits of EMS and OHS management systems
- Environmental and Occupational Health And Safety Management Representatives
- Environmental or Health and Safety Consultants
- Quality Directors
- Regulatory Affairs managers
- Health, safety, and environmental managers
- Environmental or Occupational Health and Safety cross-functional team members of an environmental or occupational health and safety implementation project
Working with a Case Study: Almost Full Documented EH&S Management System Why is this important?
Each Learner will audit the almost full documented Integrated EH&S Management System from the unique Kelmac Group® assurance perspective.
The Kelmac Group® assurance perspective is unique as we audit like many professional financial audit practices where the focus is on providing top management with the quality of insight to make decisions and actions aimed at improving performance of the organization.
Our almost fully documented EH&S includes an Integrated ISO 14001:2015/ISO 45001:2018 Policy Manual; 13 SIPOC processes [Value chain, Support and Management]; 19 procedures; the organization’s environmental aspects/impacts register, the organization’s OHS hazard, risk and controls register, the organization’s statutory and regulatory and other legal obligations register, the organization’s emergency preparedness and response plan and the organization’s risk register, and related documented environmental templates and records.
One System Model Why is this important?
The one system model is based on utilizing Business Process Management to enhance ISO based Management Systems and we show the Learner how to evaluate alignment of the business and the EH&S, the environmental aspects/impacts, the OHS hazards, risks and controls and significance business processes [not ISO processes] and align with the strategic intent of the organization.
Others train followers, we train leaders™